Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Aeros Winter Race, task 1

Today was the first day of the Aeros Winter Race. A beautiful, sunny day. We had a 101 km task, racing up and down the ridges and having a few crossings in between.

The thing I was most interested in was how I was going to climb in comparison to the others with the new, smaller wing. And that definitely wasn't a disappointment. And I'm sure I will be climbing better once I really get to know the glider.

So, after some experimenting in the start gate and wanting to fly more on my own than in the gaggle, I had a pretty bad start. But after 30 km, Seppi and I had caught up with the leading gaggle. But at that moment, I also played it a little too safe and immediately lost the gaggle again. Anyway, after being a few minutes behind on the furthest turnpoint (Lijak), I got low and into trouble. I stayed low for 10 long km and lost half an hour. After that, I was happy to bring it back to goal. 17th on 56 competitors. More days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment